Tuscan Recipes - No.9 Frittelle di Riso (or Frittelle di San Giuseppe)
· 150g of rice
· 0.5L of milk
· 2 tablespoons of flour
· 2 eggs
· 30g of butter
· 2 tablespoons of sugar
· 2 tablespoons of liqueur
· lemon zest
· half a sachet of yeast
· a pinch of salt
· frying oil
- Boil the milk with a glass of water, two tablespoons of sugar, a pinch of salt, the butter and lemon zest.
- Add the rice ("originario" type, or another type, but not parboiled) and cook for a long time, until the liquid is completely absorbed. Remove from heat and let everything cool.
- Add the flour, egg yolks, a teaspoon of lemon zest, a shot of liqueur (usually rum, but Marsala wine or brandy or Vin Santo are also fine) and yeast.
- Let stand for at least an hour, then whisk the egg whites and add to the mixture. Meanwhile heat the oil in a pan, and with the aid of two spoons (previously immersed in hot oil) create a small ball of the mixture and immerse it in the boiling oil.
- When each frittella is well colored, put it on a sheet of kitchen paper to dry, then sprinkle all of them with a lot of sugar and tuck in!
www.accademiafirenze.net - Luxury Italian Cashmere, Bedding & Bath Linen